[NIFL-ESL:9887] Re: Black History Month

From: Sandees32605@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 20:33:05 EST

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:33:05 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sandees32605@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9887] Re: Black History Month

In a message dated 2/10/04 6:56:55 PM, ayw@georgetown.edu writes:

<< any creative adult ESL lessons related to Black History
Month? >>

Perhaps it's not all that creative, but I reserve the video 'Long Walk Home'
from the school library and show parts of it in class.  This film, starring
Whoopie Goldberg and Sissy Spivack, is set during the Montgomery bus boycott and
tells that story thru the eyes of a child, witnessing what happens to the
relationship between her white middle-class mother and her black working-class
maid/nanny.  It's a powerful film, just last week rated by one film critic on
the TV history channel as the best historical film of the last 50 years.

So many newcomers to the US are baffled by racial tensions here, by race
relationships, by the prejudices they encounter. The closed-captioned video
provides an easy-to-understand glimpse of our history. Our ELL students are at first
stunned by what they view - and then angry - and finally moved - some to
tears.  Because so many students ask where/when they can see the full video,
teachers are prepared with public library reserve forms for them to fill out.

Looking forward to other ideas.

Sue Sandeen
ESOL, Gainesville, FL  USA