[Workplace 1598] Re: Evaluations of National WorkplaceLiteracyProgramprojects

JURMO at ucc.edu

Mon Sep 15 18:00:30 EDT 2008

Thanks, Gary. It's nice to know this work is useful. I believe the handbook you referred to has been widely used in Canada and also in Massachusetts and New York State. I continue to use it in my work in the planning of career pathway programs in New Jersey.

A little more history:

-- The ABC CANADA guidebook that Gary refers to grew in part out of the "team evaluation" work that Laura Sperazi and I did at NIFL.

-- One of the partners in Gary's organization, the Civil Service Employees Association, was part of an informal network of workplace educators that grew out of both the National Workplace Literacy Program and the NIFL and ABC CANADA research on collaborative (team) approaches to worker education. The network, called the Workplace Education Collaborative, met off and on for about two years in upstate New York and Massachusetts.

My point is: Investment in demonstration projects in workplace education paid off not only for the workers and companies that participated in the programs but for the practitioners who developed and shared new workplace education practices.

Thanks to the organizers of this NIFL discussion list for providing a vehicle for continued collaborative development of our field.

Paul Jurmo