[Workplace 1530] Re: Taking the Plunge into Work-Based ESL

Connie Nelson

connie_nelson at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 23 13:31:08 EDT 2008

Hi, everyone:

I'm from the Mass. Worker Education Roundtable and we've been setting up workplace education programs and to, mostly labor-management partnerships, in a variety of industries around Massachusetts for the last 15 years. We have also developed curriculum and training for workplace educators.

I am responding to Miriam's post because we also find it worthwhile to conduct a fairly thorough needs analysis.
We do interviews and/or focus groups with various levels of management (very important to include line supervisors), union representatives, and a cross-section of workers. We are looking for what the education needs are in that workplace from the different points of view. Then we look for the common interests that have been expressed by labor, management and workers. As Lloyd David commented, a team approach is very helpful here. The labor-management team reviews the needs we have identified, chooses which needs they want to tackle first and makes reasonable goals from those. Good candidates are those interests important to all parties (often having to do with improved communication and/or safety issues) and ones which classes could reasonably effect. Goals like increased productivity, for example, have a lot of other factors, such as availability of materials and staffing levels. at play. Also, only a few workers may be able to attend the classes. We try to identify more specific goals, like being able to fill out routing sheets correctly, or having more people asking clarifying questions of the supervisor, or understanding the attendance policy.

We don't do formal skills assessment at this stage, because many grant-funded programs require standardized assessments for those who actually enroll in classes. At the needs analysis stage, we get an idea of the level through observation and interviews, but it would be too costly to do individual assessments, and we also don't want people to get their hopes up for a class when they may not be selected for the class. That's another job for the team--to come up with a fair selection policy that fits the particular workplace.

Also, I want to thank Mary Lewis for the materials she suggested. We also have adapted some workplace health and safety materials for use in ESOL classes. They can be found on our website: www.umass/roundtable.

Finally, in addition to some of the ideas presented here about workplace learners continuing their education, we have sometimes had education fairs where learners can find out about resources in their communities. Sometimes waiting lists in community programs mean a while before learners can continue. In a few cases, the team has chosen a provider with the ongoing educational opportunities in mind and our workplace learners are considered already enrolled. We have also suggested distance learning programs, and welcome information about any more of those resources.

Connie Nelson, Ed.D. Director
Massachusetts Worker Education Roundtable
33 Harrison Avenue
Boston, MA 02111
tel. 617-983-3667
fax 617-983-3669