[Workplace 1279] Workplace literacy self assessment tools

Nancy Watters

nwatters at readsociety.bc.ca
Tue Apr 22 14:23:59 EDT 2008

Your students might want to check out this site:

http://www.skillplan.ca/English/measureup.htm

How do your skills Measure Up? is an exciting online resource that links
essential skills to real Canadian workplaces. This web-based practice and
self-assessment provides more than 100 activity sets based on workplace
documents. Each task has been placed on the scale used by Human Resources
and Skills Development Canada's Essential Skills Profiles. The activity sets
on How do your skills Measure Up? are consistent with the problem sets in
the Tests of Workplace Essential Skills (TOWES).

Practice typical workplace tasks or assess skill levels in three essential
skills:

Reading Text
Document Use
Numeracy
Select the activity sets by occupation (for example, Shipper/Receiver), by
type of document (for example, an entry form), or by skill and level (based
on the Essential Skills Profiles and IALS).

Download and print each activity set for practice or self-assessment in a
classroom, at an employment centre, at work, or at home -- there is no fee
for use.

Use the links to the NOC and the Essential Skills Profiles to explore job
options, make realistic career choices and identify upgrading needs.

Warm regards,

Nancy Watters, M.A.
Researcher--Workplace Literacy Project

Victoria READ Society