[Workplace 1215] Re: News about workplace skills and FCE

David J. Rosen

djrosen at comcast.net
Mon Mar 24 09:33:03 EDT 2008

Hello Maria,

On Mar 22, 2008, at 1:04 PM, Maria Caratini-Prado wrote:

> In reading this information, I wonder if Equipped For the Future, the

> educational master plan for adult literacy education here in the

> United States, has been correlated to Functional Context Education.

EFF isn't exactly a master plan. It's a set of national content
standards developed over a decade by the National Institute for
Literacy and various other organizations around the country, built
from research on what adult learners say they want and need to learn.
Note, however, that while developed with federal funds, this is not a
mandatory set of national standards. It's a resource available for
states to adopt if they wish. With its extensive professional
development component, provided by the Center for Literacy Studies at
the University of Tennessee, one could also argue that it's now also
a professional development effort.

The heart of Functional Context Education (FCE), as I understand it,
is getting the learners' context right in the first place. If adult
learners in a particular industry, let's say health care for example,
want to advance in their jobs but lack the basic skills needed to do
so, then the curriculum context might well be health care. However,
as Sheryl Gowen's study, The Politics of Workplace Literacy [ http://
tinyurl.com/38zkcz ], argues so well, you can't assume that because
people work in a particular industry that they want to learn the
basic skills to do their (current) jobs better, or even to advance in
that industry. In short, to make sure you have the right context you
have to ask the learners. For this reason I don't understand the
notion of correlating anything to FCE. FCE only works when there is a
high degree of congruence between the goals and interests of the
actual group of adult learners you are teaching and the particular
curriculum.

But perhaps you mean something different by "correlation" ? Were you
asking in a more general way if FCE and EFF were compatible? If so, I
would say they are. They both require a teacher to pay a lot of
attention to what learners want to know and do, and to the contexts
that are important to them.

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net