[Assessment 1943] Re: Low learner skills

Jean Marrapodi

jmarrapodi at applestar.org
Fri May 29 13:39:31 EDT 2009

John raises a series of questions about the low literacy learners, asking
"do you think that such skills can be improved to high, automatized skill
levels such as one sees in an average college student - automatized, fluent,
ease?" That's a lofty goal, but the answer really is, "it depends". It
depends on a variety of things. Is the low literacy learner there because of
English language learning issues? Then yes, certainly, because we have to
remove the barrier of the English learning and the learner catches up to the
proficiency in L1. In the ABE world, we have another set of issues. In the
world of Literacy Volunteers, we have seen amazing breakthroughs where we
have seen students realize that there was a system of decoding they never
understood and slowly apply the rules to systematically learn to read. It's
a slow process to catch up.

Four years ago we discussed the Plateau Effect on the ALE Wiki
(http://wiki.literacytent.org/index.php/AlePlateau) posing lots of
hypotheses. Since then, I've seen new research including something in the
ARCs study that mentions that "among the learners in the ARCS
<http://www.nifl.gov/readingprofiles/ARCS_MC_Pop.htm> RR 100% of those who
tested below fifth grade level (21% of our sample) did not know all the
consonant sounds, the basic building elements of word analysis and word
recognition." (http://www.nifl.gov/readingprofiles/MC_Print_Skills.htm) I
know that ABE students are like Swiss Cheese and believe that taking more of
a diagnostic/prescriptive approach lets us figure out where the holes are in
their learning to help plug them.

I don't think it's a matter of classroom instruction in vocabulary lessons,
or comprehension skills, or going through a workbook, though that certainly
will help in some ways. In lots of ways that's like throwing spaghetti on
the wall and hoping some of it will stick. For our lowest level learners,
we need to provide targeted, differentiated instruction, specific to their
skill gaps. Sometimes we will have multiple students with the same issues
and we can group them. Sometimes it will be assisted by software. It's not
an easy process, but it's an effective one. The trick is to find the
appropriate diagnostics, then correct remediation material.

Will we get every learner up to college level fluency? Not tomorrow. In our
world, the goal is progress, not perfection.

<http://www.applestar.org/>

Jean Marrapodi, PhD, CPLP

teacher by training, learner by design
<mailto:rejoicer at aol.com> jmarrapodi at applestar.org