[Assessment 1934] Re: Just joining us?

Pamela Ferguson

pferguson at yvcc.edu
Thu May 28 14:26:45 EDT 2009

I'd like to add a comment along these lines as well. Many ESL students who have low L1 literacy have become, by necessity, strong auditory learners. Hearing the reading aloud can be a bridge for them between the written text and the oral language. However, in teaching reading to all levels of ESL students, I never have one student read out loud to the class. (It seems to me to leave the rest of class potentially unengaged for those moments.)

The model I use is: instructor reads material to students and leads discussion of vocabulary and comprehension; instructor reads one sentence at a time with students repeating each sentence and then again discuss vocabulary and comprehension. Then instructor and students read chorally together. After that, as a review later, students read out loud, one at a time, in small groups of three to four while the instructor moves from group to group and monitors their reading.