[Assessment 1931] Your thoughts on the Report

Marie Cora

marie.cora at hotspurpartners.com
Thu May 28 11:32:24 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm very much enjoying everyone's contributions to the discussion - it's
clear that a number of the issues the report raises resonate with many
of you.

I wonder if we could shift our thought a little so that we focus more
directly on the content and/or results of the report?

The data in this report is extremely rich and may become very useful for
the field in finding more effective ways of delivering instruction or
developing curricula - so I would really be interested in hearing both
the guests' as well as subscribers' perspectives on some of the
following questions:

1. How was Adult Literacy Supplemental Assessment (ALSA) was
conducted and what kinds of questions were asked?
2. Who are ALSA participants? What kinds of skills they have? What
do they mainly lack?
3. How was Fluency Addition to NAAL (FAN) was conducted and what
kinds of questions were asked?
4. Were any findings of the report surprised you? Any data that
validated or countered your understanding of the basic reading skills
among adults?
5. What is report telling us in regard to the relationship between
basic reading skills and fluency
6. What is the value of this report to you for your immediate as
well as your long term work?
7. How will you use this report? Do the results impact how you
recruit your learners, how you teach them, type of curriculum or
materials you use?
8. Would this report help you to change your approach in your
funding activities?

Please do not feel compelled to answer all these questions; but if one
or two strike a chord in you, please send us your thoughts so we can
engage in further conversation about this topic.

Thanks!!

Marie

Marie Cora
Assessment Discussion List Moderator