[Assessment 1839] Re: Diagnostic assessments

George Demetrion

gdemetrion at msn.com
Sun Apr 26 17:41:17 EDT 2009

Thanks Bonnie,

I haven't been in a situation where I would have drawn on that assessment, though I can see that in workplace contexts it can be helpful. So can the CASAS Reading assessment in terms of identifying some relationships between general reading ability and utilizing print-based text in specific daily life application contexts. In the program where I had worked we used both the CASAS reading assessment and the DAR; that and the tracking of personal achievements became the three modes by which we both were able to develop some basic profiles of student learning on a global programmatic basis, although it needs to be clearly stated that such "instruments" are at best indicators which can provide useful information if keenly utilized by program managers, teachers, and students. I have been a strong advocate of case study analysis and paradigm-driven ethnographic studies for a long time which provides a lot of "thick description" for the select subset of students such work may apply to.

I think all of these appraoches together shed light on the dynamics of student learning, which perhaps may lead one to conclude that even in terms of a diagnostic there may not be a single best screening tool. If one is looking for a solid informal diagnostic only to serve as a rough placement tool, the LVA READ test is pretyy tood in that it measures a variety of components and the reading passages are adult focused.

George Demetrion