[Assessment 1801] EFf assessment

George Demetrion

gdemetrion at msn.com
Sat Feb 21 16:48:03 EST 2009

Hello all,

I'm wondering if those running programs or agencies that draw heavily on EFF utilize slome type of formal assessment that measures the standards.

I'm aware that frameworks for this have been set up, but I'm wondering the extent to which a corresponding assessment system has been operationalized anywhere. http://eff.cls.utk.edu/assessment/arc_library.htm

On a related note, I've reviewed some of the CASAS materials laid out pictorially in triangular form with Curriculum at the apex and instruction and assessment at the base of each of the angles.

Question: NRS or any required formal assessment aside, to what extent would it be valid, broadly rather than technically speaking ,to utilize different frameworks in the triangle such as a curriculum that brought together basic skill development within a life application focus that drew braodly say from EFF and CASAS, an instructional model that based on the EFF Teaching/Learning Cycle http://eff.cls.utk.edu/toolkit/default.htm and an assessment based on CASAS and the Diagnostic Assessment of Reading (DAR). I put this scenario out here because my sense is that such eclecticism is how these relationships between curriculum development, instructional design and practice, and flormal and informal assessment actually get played out.

Also, to what extent do programs have formal curriculum frameworks (a term I;m using in the general sense) and in its construction how has this differed from instructional design and practice?

Best,

George Demetrion