[Assessment 1764] Re: GED Espanol

pbalsamo at luzerne.edu

Sat Feb 7 17:28:11 EST 2009

We have received some private funds to develop and deliver Spanish GED
preparation sessions since the State of PA Adult Ed program will not fund
such prep classes. The pass rate for the three test sessions we have
conducted so far is less than 50%. The program director always makes
clear to the participants that it's a great achievement to obtain the GED
in Spanish, but they must continue their studies for competency in English
language reading, writing, speaking and listening.

I essentially see obtaining the GED in Spanish as a way to demonstrate a
significant achievement and instill some motivation and excitement for
postsecondary education; also, it's useful for job purposes and it's
important to show if the individual has the goal of entering
college....especially if they don't already have a high school diploma
from their native country.

In a special grant program I direct focusing on a comprehensive college
prep program (called Project Success) for GED completers, I admitted three
young adults (from the Dominican Republic) who had obtained the Spanish
GED. They were also graduates of high school in their country; they have
been in the US for less than two years. They still need lots of help to
enhance their academic and everyday English language skills, so they are
currently enrolled in credit ESL developmental courses.

I realize now it was probably a waste of their time to obtain the Spanish
GED since the college would have admitted them with proof of their native
country's high school graduation, and they probably would have done OK on
the Accuplacer using the "Ability to Benefit" option to obtain their
financial aid. (The financial aid folks tell me a high school diploma from
a foreign country is not recognized for an individual to received federal
and/or state financial aid). All community college folks need to be
familiar with the "Ability to Benefit" option. Unfortunately, it's not
heavily promoted.

For similar situations in the future I would focus on helping these folks
to aggressively prepare for the Accuplacer placement test using such tools
as A+dvancer (notably the diagnostic function), tutoring, and other
effective instructional approaches.

I am pleased to report that all three of the Latino students earned 12
credit hours in Spanish by taking the College Board's CLEP test. It was a
great motivator for them to earn these credits as they begin their pathway
to college. We need to encourage as many motivated Latino folks as
possible to consider taking the CLEP Spanish test. It's a great way to
help them get on a successful path for college studies.

Peter P. Balsamo, Ph.D.
Chief GED Examiner and Director
of Community Outreach; Director of
Project Success Grant
Luzerne County Community College
Corporate Learning Center
2 Public Square
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701-1992
Phone: 570-822-3728
FAX: 570-822-6171
E-mail: pbalsamo at luzerne.edu
www.luzerne.edu

"Helton, B.J. (KYAE)" <BJ.Helton at ky.gov>
Sent by: assessment-bounces at nifl.gov
02/07/09 02:54 PM
Please respond to
The Assessment Discussion List <assessment at nifl.gov>

"The Assessment Discussion List" <assessment at nifl.gov>
cc

Subject
[Assessment 1763] Re: GED Espanol

A student may take the test in Spanish and then if English is required for
postsecondary or employment, the student may take test in English. Not
so, in the reverse unless they are going to another country and have to
prove Spanish comprehension.