[Assessment 1741] Re: GED in Spanish

Gail B

gbundy at rmi.net
Fri Feb 6 13:11:43 EST 2009

We have had many Spanish speaking students who wanted to explore that possibility --especially the young ones who were raised in the U.S. -- and have only recently left high school. They think that they could pass without studying if they took the GED in Spanish -- so we give them practice tests in Spanish. In every case, the students soon realize on their own that they didn't have enough knowledge to pass the GED in Spanish. And it is a good place to have the discussion about the need for studying - and the need to become skilled in English.

I might also add that as teachers, we do steer the conversation towards the importance of spending time working in English. And I usually give the Social Studies pre-GED test.

We belief that the toughest barrier for the Spanish speaking students to pass -- is the Social Studies Test. Unlike the GED Science prep texts -- which assume no knowledge of key vocabulary -- and define everything -- the Social Studies GED texts do not have the same level of sensitivity to how much vocabulary is used in Social Studies that students do not know.

I'm wondering what other people have found.

Gail Bundy
Native American Multi-Cultural Education School
3600 Morrison Road
Denver, CO 80219
gbundy at rmi.net