[Assessment 1669] Re: Assessment Digest, Vol 41, Issue 13

Ted Klein

taklein at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 4 16:09:03 EST 2009

Charlene,

Sometime back in the 1970's I was on an airplane sitting next to a Caucasian gentleman reading a book in Japanese. I greeted him in that language in which I am somewhat functional. He said, "Oh I don't speak Japanese, I just read it." Of course, in a pictographic language, he could look at the script and read it directly into English. We got in a conversation with the usual American first questions, "What do you do." I told him that I taught English as a second language. He replied to the same question from me, " I work for IBM and it makes me sad to tell you that you will be replaced before too long by computers."

Here it is, almost 40 years later and I'm back in the classroom after some administrative adventures, teaching English as a second language to immigrants. I absolutely believe that for the majority of people, particularly language students, their teachers will never be replaced. The direct human interaction between teachers and students, as well as students with their classmates, still seems to be far more of a successful learning adventure than people with machines. In over four decades in this field I have only met three non-linguists who have actually learned English on their own. One was a Buddhist monk in a temple in Thailand with lots of time to think and learn. This is not a question of "discipline," whether we are talking about computers, audio devices or whatever. It is humans working with other humans.

Ted
www.tedklein-ESL.com