[Assessment 1603] Re: Reply to Questions 1 and 2

Borge, Toni

tborge at bhcc.mass.edu
Tue Feb 3 16:05:06 EST 2009

Writing from Bunker Hill Community College Boston one of the 5 colleges
profiled in Torchlights in ESL; I can confirm that the majority of GED
and ESOL students place into developmental math. That said, 90% of all
students who enroll in community colleges in Massachusetts place into
at least one developmental course. And this is the trend nationwide.

>From my experience there are a number of factors that play into

developmental placement; one that Tom mentioned is the lack of alignment
between the Massachusetts Adult Curriculum Frameworks and community
college math or English curriculum - and between Adult Ed ESOL and
community college ESOL curriculum also. It also should be noted a large
number of high school graduates who pass the MCAS - Massachusetts state
K-12 competency test also test into developmental classes, again lack of
alignment between the secondary education and community college
curriculum is a factor. Steps are being taken to address this issue.

Another factor is test taking skills. Students need to learn how to
take a computerized test. The test taking strategies we learned about
skipping the questions you know and then go back or review the
questions after you have completed the test can't be done on a
computerized test. Also many students do not take the time to read the
directions carefully. You can't go back and correct on a computerized
test.

Instead of thinking how to get students to pass Accuplacer, I would
recommend the focus should be on what math and English academic skills
that are required to place into college level classes and adapt the
curriculum to address these deficiencies.

Toni