[HealthLiteracy 2561] Re: WednesdayQuestion: Lookingfor CompellingHealth Literacy Facts

Chris Matis

cmatis at optonline.net
Thu Dec 4 21:06:28 EST 2008

To all:

I agree health literacy is about communication but I also believe
interpretation (the processing of information) is necessary. One
cannot understand the information if one cannot communicate it or
process what is being said. The biggest issue regarding health and
social systems is that individuals and organizations believe they are
communicating when actually they are not. The problem is the
assumption of information being presented will be interpreted a
particular way to one group or individual while to another group or
individual it may be interpreted differently. One has to remember the
visual, verbal and kinetic learner in the way one communicates
information. Also, cultural beliefs and values often dictates how
one interprets. In more homogeneous societies it is easier to
communicate information while in heterogeneous societies it becomes
more complicated. This is why one has to look at the population
groups one is serving and gear health literacy to that group or
individual.

I do agree with Janet, that we have totally gone over the top with
health care forms in order to protect ourselves. Do you think a
individual can process or understand information if we give them more
forms, ask more of the same questions, show them more pictures? At
what point do individuals become saturated and are on overload by
this, resulting in individuals stopping to listen and a negative
outcome? Sometimes less is more.

Navigating the health care system is extremely difficult. Technology
was suppose to make it easier but I disagree. Look at yourself when
you have a problem and have to make a telephone call. First you have
to listen to the long winded message, wait to see what number to
press, gosh missed the correct number start all over again, finally
push 2, then get another message, finally get someone on the
telephone and get disconnected. I think we all feel this. In
health care systems we have become overly sophisticated in the way we
communicate ideas, thoughts etc., that sometimes the message is missed.

I remember when Powerpoint came out. I did my lectures on
Powerpoint. Had a few pictures, lots of words etc. I thought I was
being so progressive while I was boring my students to tears. How
many individuals have taken continuing education, seminar courses and
this has happened?

So when one thinks of making the health care system better it is
important to remember simplicity is better and involve all in the
process of change.

Christine Matis, RDH, MPA
Farmingdale State University of New York