[HealthLiteracy 2550] Re: Wednesday Question: Looking for CompellingHealth Literacy Facts

Andrew Pleasant

pleasant at AESOP.Rutgers.edu
Wed Dec 3 22:53:32 EST 2008

Hi,

But would you feel it at least partially fair to say that errors made
by professionals are a function of their health literacy? I am
equally disquieted by the assumption that health literacy is
something that only the public has or does not have. (i.e. that only
patients make 'literacy related errors' while professionals make
'medical errors'.... and what about when medical professionals become
patients .. do they suddenly have heath literacy?)

Consider the growing awareness of the valuable role checklists can
play in preventing errors by medical professionals (surgeons in
particular). Is a checklist not health literacy? (For example .. see
http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/86/7/08-010708/en/index.html)

And why are all those materials so poorly written ... is that not
caused by poor health literacy skills on the part of the creators?

To the extent people agree those examples are also health literacy,
then health literacy quickly accounts for a bulk of the cost estimate
Julie shared ... even as we agree the cause in each individual
instance is difficult to parse out methodologically.

The field has often asserted health literacy is two-sided, but as
often makes an unequal distinction between the sides. I think this
also extends to the recent discussion of treatment refusal. Embedded
into that exchange was an assumption that science was infallible and
unchanging. I would not want to be the health educator who was so
adamant about - for example - hormone replacement therapy only to
wake up one day and find that the science had radically changed.

In my view, health literacy should not be about gaining compliance
but should be about giving people the tools to navigate science -
including when science changes - to make an informed decision. I can
think of at least one study that found people with the highest levels
of education (Ph.D.s and similar) are among those more skeptical of
science. An informed decision does not necessary mean compliance with
science. An informed decision evaluates and balances the science
along with the cultural, civic, and fundamental skills, abilities,
and beliefs that are relevant and important to each individual. (See
http://www.josseybass.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0787984337.html)

Best as always ...

Andrew Pleasant