[HealthLiteracy 2538] Re: Evidence-based? ... Literacy benefits?

Susan Auger

sauger at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 2 18:54:17 EST 2008

Hi Paul-
I appreciate your perspective and I've had similar experiences to you that
suggest that expensive and 'slick' looking materials are not necessarily
better- it depends so much on the audience and context.

I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit more on your comment about
photonovelas just being handed-out are relatively ineffective. From your
experience, is this, for example, with particular groups, topics, or
settings?

Last week we spoke quite a bit on the value and importance of participatory
processes in developing and using photonovelas to address health literacy
needs. However, from the Doak's work, I've understood photonovelas as
containing quite a few elements that can make them a valuable written 'tool'
to address literacy needs in their own right (e.g., realism through visuals,
captures and holds attention, health message woven into relevant life
situations, easy to read language and short conversational sentences).

Although further study is needed, ancedotal feedback I've gotten from health
professionals who distribute the photonovelas at events like health fairs,
etc. say that they are always the first to go. For those distributed in
clinic settings, they tell me clients report keeping them and sharing them
with others (like a magazine). I work with primarily Latino families, which
as you note tend to be a receptive audience since photonovelas are
culturally familiar, so your comment peaked my curiosity.

Any additional information or insight would be great. Thanks!
Susan
.

_____