[HealthLiteracy 2530] Re: Writing for the Masses

Wendy Mettger

wmettger at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 1 17:20:38 EST 2008

Ann,

I'd also suggest trying to write the information at the 5th to 6th grade
reading level. One approach that I find very helpful is to conduct
one-on-one interviews with members of the target audience to measure
appeal, comprehension, and usability. The other approach is to conduct
interviews with adult learners in adult literacy programs. These
individuals already have been tested using one of several measures to
assess adult literacy. I work with program administrators to identify
individuals reading at the level of the materials that I've written. If
I've written a piece at the 6th grade reading level, I'll interview
adult learners who have a reading level of 6th grade. This certainly
isn't a guarantee that everyone reading at a 6th grade level will
understand the material, but it gives me an indication that there may be
certain concepts and/or words that are difficult or problematic for the
readers.

Wendy

Wendy Mettger, M.A.
President, Mettger Communications
129 Grant Avenue
Takoma Park, MD 20912
Phone: (301)270-2774 Fax: (301)270-5267
E-mail: wmettger at mindspring.com <mailto:wmettger at mindspring.com>

Principal and Founding Member, The Clear Language Group
www.clearlanguagegroup.com <http://www.clearlanguagegroup.com/>