[HealthLiteracy 2522] Re: Writing for the masses

boyd davis

boydhdavis at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 30 08:08:02 EST 2008

Speaking as "a mass" --
Make it as simple as you can, and then revise to make it even plainer. That does not mean 'dumbing down' - check Zarcadoolas's book.

I don't care how high the literacy is, there is something about being told you have a condition or disease like diabetes that freezes the brain. I have a PhD and I write all the time, and I'm usually reasonably competent, but it took WEEKS for me to find anything comprehensible, simple and sensible about diabetes management after I was diagnosed with Type 2 last year. I finally found usable, readable, applicable information in a website for parents and children with Type 1. Forget "eighth grade": write for an intelligent 5th grader who would rather be doing almost anything else

Boyd Davis