[HealthLiteracy 2515] Re: Evidence-based? ... Literacy benefits?

Marty Romney

mromney at comcast.net
Tue Nov 25 20:36:41 EST 2008

Laura,

I will look forward to purchasing a copy of your book once published.
Congratulations on your book and your well-deserve research awards. Your
are an inspiration!

I'd like to stay in touch and hear about upcoming projects of yours.

Thanks again for sharing.

Marty

On 11/25/08 1:52 PM, "Laura Nimmon" <nimmon at interchange.ubc.ca> wrote:

> Dear Marty,

> For my research I conduced a qualitative critical ethnographic case study.

> Data was collected with pre and post individual and focus group interviews and

> observational notes. My study found that the photonovel functioned as an

> effective health literacy tool due to the use of visuals and simplified

> language. My results also showed the the participatory photonovel process

> formed community and increased the women's feelings of self importance.

> Most interestingly, there was a subtle, yet notable shift in the women's

> consciousness around nutrition. Before the study, the women felt seemingly

> helpless about their changes in diets upon migration. After the study, there

> was a shift in their focus and they talked about what they could do to change

> their diets and get more exercise. This movement from disempowered to

> empowered was profoundly powerful, and was very meaningful to me as the

> researcher.

> This study can be found at:

> Nimmon L. (2007). Within the eyes of the people: Using a photonovel as a

> consciousness-raising health literacy tool with ESL-speaking immigrant women.

> Canadian Journal of Public Health, 98(4), 337-340.

> On behalf of the Institute of Population and Public Health (IPPH), the

> Canadian Public Health Association (CPHA), the Canadian Public Health

> Initiative (CPHI) and the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), I won a

> Canadian Population and Public Health Masters Research Award for my research

> with photonovels and immigrant women. It was also shortlisted for the

> Language and Literacy Researchers of Canada Masters Research Award.

> This study is being published into a book, but I cant decide the title yet.

> Something like:

> Breaking Out With Photonovels: A Consciousness Raising Health Literacy Project

> With ESL Speaking Immigrant Women.

> Should be out this spring on amazon.com

> Have a great day,

> Laura

> -

> Laura Nimmon

> Ph.D Student

> Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada Doctoral Fellow

> Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Senior Graduate Trainee

> www.photonovel.ca

> Language and Literacy Education

> University of British Columbia

> 2125 Main Mall

> Vancouver, BC

> Canada V6T 1Z4

>>> transmitted

>>> infections after a single reading by 1,168 secondary school students in

>>> South

>>> Africa. James, et al. found that reading the photonovel contributed to a

>>> more

>>> positive attitude to condom use in male and female learners six weeks after

>>> the intervention. The study shows that an effect was also found on future

>>> intentions to use condoms in the next year. The authors noted that these

>>> positive attitudes are important in influencing intentions to use condoms;

>>> however, they suggested that there needs to be further educational

>>> strategies

>>> that encourage open communication about AIDS because awareness, positive

>>> attitudes, and knowledge about the problem may not be sufficient to create

>>> actual behavioural change. Therefore, while the authors found photonovels to

>>> be an ef

>>> fective strategy to access youth and prepare them for adequate preventive

>>> behaviours, the study also identified the need to combine print media with

>>> other planned theory-based interventions that build confidence and skills to

>>> initiate the preventive behaviour.

>>> James, S., Reddy, P., Ruiter, R., Taylor, M., Jinabhai, C., Van Empelen, P.,

>>> et al. (2005). The effects of a systematically developed photo-novella on

>>> knowledge, attitudes, communication and behavioural intentions with respect

>>> sexually transmitted infections among secondary school learners in South

>>> Africa. Health Promotion International, 20(2), 157-165

>>> Laura