[HealthLiteracy 2508] Re: Evidence-based? ... Literacy benefits?

Marty Romney

mromney at comcast.net
Mon Nov 24 22:29:46 EST 2008

Dear Laura,

Thank you so very much! The information you have provided is exceedingly
helpful and I will look for the article. I am finding it a challenge to
find validated qualitative instruments used with photonovellas. How else can
you demonstrate that your interventions have had a positive impact?

I am actually reading some qualitative research texts but see no references
to photonovellas.

Thanks again - have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and good luck with your
doctoral work.

marty

On 11/24/08 12:08 AM, "Laura Nimmon" <nimmon at interchange.ubc.ca> wrote:

> Dear Marty,

> I thought you might find this South African study interesting:

> James, et al. (2005), used a pre-post test follow up design to study the

> effects of a systematically developed photonovel on knowledge, attitudes,

> communication, and behavioral intentions with respect to sexually transmitted

> infections after a single reading by 1,168 secondary school students in South

> Africa. James, et al. found that reading the photonovel contributed to a more

> positive attitude to condom use in male and female learners six weeks after

> the intervention. The study shows that an effect was also found on future

> intentions to use condoms in the next year. The authors noted that these

> positive attitudes are important in influencing intentions to use condoms;

> however, they suggested that there needs to be further educational strategies

> that encourage open communication about AIDS because awareness, positive

> attitudes, and knowledge about the problem may not be sufficient to create

> actual behavioural change. Therefore, while the authors found photonovels to

> be an ef

> fective strategy to access youth and prepare them for adequate preventive

> behaviours, the study also identified the need to combine print media with

> other planned theory-based interventions that build confidence and skills to

> initiate the preventive behaviour.

> James, S., Reddy, P., Ruiter, R., Taylor, M., Jinabhai, C., Van Empelen, P.,

> et al. (2005). The effects of a systematically developed photo-novella on

> knowledge, attitudes, communication and behavioural intentions with respect to

> sexually transmitted infections among secondary school learners in South

> Africa. Health Promotion International, 20(2), 157-165

> Laura

> -

> Laura Nimmon

> Ph.D Student

> Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada Doctoral Fellow

> Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Senior Graduate Trainee

> www.photonovel.ca

> Language and Literacy Education

> University of British Columbia

> 2125 Main Mall

> Vancouver, BC

> Canada V6T 1Z4

>>> no!)

>>> We have not heard from many adult literacy teachers: for you all, what

>>> benefits do you see in literacy gains using photonovellas vs. other

>>> authentic materials?

>>> And one question for Susan: what is the difference between using a

>>> phonotovella and using the TWS (teach with stories)method?

>>> Thanks to all for great questions and answers!

>>> Julie