[HealthLiteracy 2507] Re: Evidence-based? ... Literacy benefits?

Susan Auger

sauger at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 24 17:58:43 EST 2008

Hi Julie-
It's nice to finally be back on-line!

The question are photonovellas an "evidence-based" strategy made me pause.
Empirical studies could help us arrive at a 'yes' or 'no' answer. However,
given the level of variability in design, development, populations,
objectives, and usage, the generalizability of the findings would be quite
limited (which I think is what you were getting at when you suggested it's
not an easy yes or no). This makes me wonder if it would be more helpful to
ask how empirical research and different cultures of inquiry can help inform
our development and use of photonovellas to achieve our stated objectives.
An interdisciplinary approach seems ideal, drawing from fields such as
medicine, public health, education, communications, and social psychology
(I'm sure there are others).

As I reflected on the question, 'evidence of what?' my thinking came full
circle, back to Dr. Chris Zarcadoolas's comments last year about the
problems that can stem from defining health literacy in terms too narrow, or
from not incorporating our powerful creative abilities as human beings to
use language to make meaning and change in our worlds. Evaluating the
photonovella challenges us in this regard because, as many of the shared
experiences reflect, we must consider not only the results of the creative
process but also the mystery of creation, the intuitive, spontaneous
elements. As Laura Nimmon's mentioned in her most recent post, that she
trusts the creative potential of the participants and that in and of itself
is a means to restore human agency. The experiences of John Comings, Rima
Rudd and others suggest that it is possible to help a community in this way
also.

Thanks to the pioneering efforts of many members on this discussion list,
the health literacy movement is growing and evolving. Evaluation of programs
and approaches to improve the health literacy of individuals and communities
is a critical part of that proces. I appreciate and am encouraged by the
interest expressed in developing, using, and evaluating photonovellas. I
look forward to continuing the dialog as we move forward!

To clarify the difference between using a photonovella and using the
Teach-With-Stories (TWS) Method:

You can use a photonovella in different ways:
--develop a photonovella as the intervention (like Laura and John
discussed) and then, for example, the group can use it to teach others in
their community
--use it for information dissemination (distribute at health fairs,
clinics, home visits, etc.),
--use it to reinforce health information provided in a different format
(e.g., we provided radio health program then had same info in a novela
available in local businesses)
--use to spark group dialog and provide education. The photonovella
provides the 'curriculum' structure for both health and participatory
literacy instruction.

The Teach-With-Stories Method is a 6 step participatory group facilitation
process. This method of facilitation can be used with any 'spark' (e.g.
photonovella, video, plays, article, current event)

We developed the method to assist educators in making the shift from a
traditional, didactic approach (that typically relies heavily on written
communication) to a culturally appropriate, participatory approach that
builds on oral traditions (like creating a play and keeping the focus on
dialog).

Our website is currently being renovated but should be up in the next couple
of weeks. We will have additional details about the TWS facilitation
training and training materials for the De Madre A Madre prenatal program.
Also, we will be posting the findings from our TWS study re: Lay Educator
Prenatal Outreach Program for Latinas. I will let you know when it's up and
running.

Susan