[HealthLiteracy 2501] Re: Some more questions on Photonovellas

Rima Rudd

RRUDD at hsph.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 21 16:15:35 EST 2008

Hello again,
After scanning the questions posed by Julie, I thought I'd share a bit more about the work done by Rudd, Comings, and Roter [together and independently]. Keep in mind that much of this work was done in the previous century! However, Debra Roter continues to work with her graduate students at Hopkins to develop photonovels with community based organizations. She has been doing this every year for 2 decades. Some of her students have gone on to develop and study the use of photnovels elsewhere [e.g. Korea].
Past work:
1. We developed and applied a participatory process that engaged a wide range of participants [all of whom were members of the intended audience]. Various participants served as writers, actors, set designers, evaluators, photographers, and lay out designers.... . We also worked with local production groups and looked into production capabilities in local schools.
2. We did conduct several studies and engaged in formative, process, and outcome evaluations. Our formative evaluations focused on readability and attractiveness as well as on distribution plans. Our process evaluations examined the extent and scope of participation and decision making [amongst those who actively participated] and expressed preferences for and use of various materials [amongst members of the various audiences who received the materials]. We also looked at value of including faces and places familiar to the readers. We asked readers to compare the photonovel materials [content and format] with other materials addressing the same issues. We counted materials taken from distribution sites that carried the photonovels as well as other materials addressing the same issue/topic. We queried whether or not people shared the materials with others in their family and community. Our proximal outcomes included measures of efficacy, intent to act, and reported activities/
behavior change [linked to a more distal outcome via theory] .

Sadly, I did not write up all of our work although I had presented at several APHA meetings in the late 1970s and at an International Health Promotion Meeting in 1980 [in London, with Debra Roter]. But we did publish some. Here are the old references:
1. Roter DL, Rudd RE, Keoge J, Robinson B. Worker Produced Health Education Material for the Construction Trades. International Quarterly of Community Health Education 7; 7(2): 109-121. 1986-7.
2. Roter DL, Rudd RE, Frantz S, Comings JP. Participatory Materials Development in Health Education. Public Health Reports, 96(2):169-172. 1987.
3. Rudd RE, Comfort L, Mongillo J, Zani L. Student Produced Health Education Materials, chapter in Matiella (ed), Comprehensive Health Education in the Multiethnic Classroom, Santa Cruz, CA: ETR Associates, 1994.
4. Rudd RE, Comings JP. Learner Developed Materials: An Empowering Product, Health Education Quarterly 21(3):33-47. 1994.

You might also want to look into the very exciting participatory work called photovoice [you can link to it via my web site] developed by Caroline Wang.
Hope this is helpful...
Rima Rudd

Rima E. Rudd, ScD, MSPH
Department of Society, Human Development & Health
Harvard School of Public Health
677 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115
Phone: 617 432 1135