[HealthLiteracy 2498] Re: Teach-With-Storiesmethodforusingphotonovellas

Susan Auger

sauger at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 21 15:36:13 EST 2008

Hi everyone-
Lorena - I appreciate you chiming in!

If our goal is to promote positive, meaningful, sustained change inherent in
health literacy objectives, then I agree with Lorena about a participatory
approach to health education efforts. And more broadly, if we are committed
to transforming our systems of care to a patient or cultured-centered model,
which also requires sharing power, then a participatory or collaborative
approach seems only logical too. However, this makes me think about Mark's
post earlier this week about how decisions are often not rational and making
changes typically involve complex dynamics that are difficult to make
explicit.

One challenge we face in the transformation process that Laura brought up
regarding Freire and her work in the community is recognizing and naming the
factors and dynamics of the different paradigms. If we can do that, then we
are in a better position to make conscious choices on individual and
organizational levels, in policy and practice.

I find that it's not an easy task because it's so pervasive and
institutionalized in our culture. For example, 'either/or,' 'win/lose'
thinking is characteristic of a 'power over' way of relating whether we are
relating as individuals, groups, or even with the environment. This is
expressed in obvious ways such as, 'It's my way or the highway,' 'Either
you are with us or against us.' It can also come up in more subtle ways.
For example, in cultural competency trainings when we talk about the use of
sharing power in patient-practitioner communication. Someone usually asks,
Does this mean that a doctor or nurse must give up their power and stop
being directive? What about my legal responsibilities and obligations, I
can't let others do or say whatever they want.

Or it can also be expressed by patients who want or expect an 'expert' not a
'facilitator,' e.g., 'don't ask me what I want or think I should do, that's
what you went to school for and why you got all that training.' A great
example is in the AMA health literacy video, 'Helping Patients Understand,'
a female patient says something to the effect, 'I do whatever the doctor
tells me, I trust him with my life.' She either directly or indirectly says
she doesn't really ask questions or need to understand. Embedded in these
questions is a sense of 'either/or,' power over- someone is on top, someone
is on bottom...so if I'm not in a dominant position, then I'm in a
submissive one. I am excited about the health literacy movement because it's
helping make explicit the dangers and hidden costs of simply focusing on
'compliance' at the expense of critical thinking and fostering a sense of
mutuality and ownership of one's health and well-being.

So Lorena, your analogy of a participatory approach as 'a dance where no
person leads and everyone is a leader' is an elegant one. It helps answer
the questions posed by those health professionals. Supporting others in
claiming and expressing their voice and power does not mean we lose our
power personally or professionally (it's not either/or), we use our power
and authority differently. As Jean Baker Miller and others suggest in
relational-cultural theory, we view and understand relationships in a
holistic and interdependent context. 'And' is the operative principle. Power
sharing is 'power with' others, side by side, while we each build our own
'power-from-within' (however you define it, e.g., self-efficacy or perhaps
in a spiritual way). Are there situations that require a directive approach
or an intervention, e.g., a parent abusing a child, suicidal tendencies, an
emergency or diminished capacity of some sort). Absolutely- there is a
continuum of responses available. And as Lorena, and the others who have
shared this week have pointed out, when we work in a collaborative way, with
a better understanding of the whole picture (individual, family, community),
we have a better sense and range of options, we make better, more informed
choices and decisions, we can be more effective in promoting change and
health, not just those we serve.

Since it's Friday, I figured it would be alright to write a little longer
post :)
Susan

Auger Communications, Inc.
PO Box 51392