[HealthLiteracy 2491] For Posting! hector Balcazar

Balcazar, Hector G

Hector.G.Balcazar at uth.tmc.edu
Thu Nov 20 12:03:14 EST 2008

Dear Colleagues of the Health and Literacy Discussion List.

We have recently produced a photonovela as part of an intervention
(funded by CDC) with community health workers/promotores de salud to
control high blood pressure among Mexican origin women living in a
colonia here in El Paso Texas. We worked with community health workers
and with people from the community to develop some ideas on how to build
stories and themes for the photonovela. We used behavioral research
theory to bring a combination of community engagement and science. The
photonovela has three components and it is in Spanish. These are: 1)
control of hypertension and use of medication, 2) control of stress, and
3) visit to the doctor. We also created a teaching module for high blood
pressure control and we integrated the photonovela as part of this
module. We then used this module in conjunction to several modules of
the NHLBI Su Corazon Su Vida curriculum to launch a 9 week randomized
community intervention.

We used an artist from the community to develop all the pictures and the
situations based on our community input. We continued with the idea of
the Ramirez family that was developed by the Salud Para Su Corazon
program of NHLBI. In our photonovela we grew the familia Ramirez and
created another son for Dona Fela, the primary character in Salud Para
Su Corazon.

Thanks for the opportunity to share this experience!

Dr. Hector Balcazar

Regional Dean and Professor of Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences

UT School of Public Health at Houston

El Paso Regional Campus

1100 N. Stanton, Suite 110

El Paso, Texas 79902