[HealthLiteracy 2485] Re: Teach-With-Stories methodfor using photonovellas

Susan Auger

sauger at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 19 18:14:45 EST 2008

Julie-
I appreciate the points you make very much. In fact when I first began my
research into this area, World Education's H.E.A.L. adult health education
literacy project,including the booklet on how to use a photonovella, proved
to be excellent model and guide! Another great resource was Mary Norton and
Pat Campbell's work with low income women described in their manual
"Learning for our health: A Resource for participatory literacy and health
education" at The Learning Centre in Edmonton, Canada (it went out of print
but I understand they may make an electronic version available). Their
application of the 'Spiral Model' (developed by Rick Arnold et al.) for
group facilitation gave me the idea of how to adopt a participatory approach
to teaching prenatal education using photonovellas.

Two other resources for participatory education manuals and reference books
probably more well-known in the literacy world are: Peppercorn Books & Press
and also Delta Publishing Company.

Regarding your observation about medical culture's different mode of passing
on information and different power dynamic. Absolutely critical to talk
about and make explicit when thinking about adopting a participatory
approach. They are two fundamentally different paradigms of relating, which
lead to different communication dynamics and consequently, different
outcomes. One is a 'power over' hierarchical way of relating, the other is
based on a 'power sharing' paradigm. Sharing power is central to cultural
competency and empowerment-based approaches.

We noticed something interesting in our Teach-With-Stories facilitator
training process. Even if a person followed the 'six-step method' correctly,
if she did not also shift her thinking to a facilitator mindset (i.e., and
stayed mentally in the role of 'expert'), the energy of the group was flat,
there was no sense of flow, or connection. So in our training, we use
experiential exercises, modeling and practice to help people understand and
feel the spirit of this approach for all the reasons Mark alluded to in an
earlier post. It's same reason I use an experiential, skills-based approach
to cultural competency training. It's one thing to talk about it, it's
another thing to practice it.

Regrarding challenges...I was so heartened to see this issue addressed
directly in the Institute of Medicine's 2003 and 2004 reports (on bridging
the quality chasm and health literacy). They call for a shift from a
clinician-centered to a patient-centered model of care. In essence, to put
the IOM's recommendations to transform our healthcare system into practice,
we must make this paradigm shift to a power-sharing way of relating and
communicating. If we are to become culturally competent and proficient in
our actions and systems, we must adopt cultural humility as an attitude and
spirit of relating.

This is easier said than done, especially when the design of our healthcare
systems, funding policies, and ways of training professionals perpetuate and
reinforce a clinician-centered model. And given the increasing complexity of
needs, sheer volume of demand, coupled with resource shortages, making any
kind of change can feel overwhelming. Specifically in the area of preantal
care, through an NIH study, we are looking at factors that faciliate and
hinder the use of group education and lay educators. I'll keep you posted on
those results when we have them.

For others, especially the participatory literacy educators on the list, how
do you typically teach these types of skills and approaches? Are there
things you may do differently when teaching health professionals versus
literacy educators?

For health professionals involved in education, what are your thoughts or
impressions about adopting a participatory approach in your program or
clinic?

Susan