[HealthLiteracy 2477] Re: 10 steps for creating photonovels

Rima Rudd

rrudd at hsph.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 18 16:30:59 EST 2008

Hello,
The proliferation of guides is wonderful and speaks to the interest in and power of this process/product. You may also want to look at two early guides on line at www.hsph.harvard.edu/healthliteracy under the link: innovative materials.
John Comings developed the first guide and Rima Rudd, the second. You'll also find a link to an article describing the participatory process and an articulation of the Freirian pedogogy that shaped the work.
Rima Rudd

Rima E. Rudd, ScD, MSPH
Department of Society, Human Development & Health
Harvard School of Public Health
677 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115
Phone: 617 432 1135
fax: 617 432 3123
web: www.hsph.harvard.edu/healthliteracy
www.hsph.harvard.edu/sisterstogether

>>> "Julie McKinney" <julie_mcKinney at worlded.org> 11/18/2008 3:13 PM >>>

Thanks for the reference to this article, Laura! In preparation for this
discussion, Linda Church has kindly made this article available at the
following link:

http://www.proliteracy.org/Photonovels.pdf

We planned to get more into the How-To aspects towards the end of the
week, but feel free to discuss this now. I'll post some questions
tonight that list members have posed, which mostly relate to the
creation of phonotonovellas.

Julie

Julie McKinney
Health Literacy List Moderator
World Education
jmckinney at worlded.org

>>> Laura Nimmon <nimmon at interchange.ubc.ca> 11/18/08 3:08 PM >>>

Good points Susan. Sometimes the populations we work with are led to
believe that they have no say in the shaping of the future, and thus
sometimes experience a crushing effect on their spirits. The photonovel
process provides participants with a chance to include their human
voice, expressed through humour or emotion, which distinguishes these
health materials from others. And thus it is essential that this human
element is not erased within the content of the photonovel.

On another note:

For those of you wondering how to go about facilitating a photonovel
project you can check out this 10 step guideline:

Nimmon, L. & Begoray, D. (2008). Creating participatory photonovels in
the classroom: A practical guide. Adult Basic Education and Literacy
Journal. 2(3), 174-178

We discuss: (1) forming a photonovel group, (2) naming of a problem, (3)
considering the audience, (4) writing a photonovel story, (5) developing
characters and costumes, (6) taking the photographs, (7) preparing the
dialogue, (8) using digital technology, (9) seeking audience feedback
and (10) publishing your photonovel

This article is in press and will be available in a few weeks!

Laura

--
Laura Nimmon
Ph.D Student