[HealthLiteracy 2470] Photonovels in the media

Laura Nimmon

nimmon at interchange.ubc.ca
Tue Nov 18 12:58:59 EST 2008

I think this is a very cool idea too! Especially the idea to freeze the installments as a way to engage people. The slow availability of the photonovel panels would also have readers remembering and discussing the content of the story.

Photonovels and media:
Historically, photonovels were used as a means of political expression in Latin America and made readily accessible to the public by being sold in newstands. For those Latin Americans with low literacy skills, the captioned photographs, which represented the emotions and struggles of daily reality, were more true to life than the politically tainted information that was often found in newspapers.

This information is found in
Flora, C. (1980). Fotonovelas: Message creation and reception. Journal of Popular Culture, 14(3), 524-534

Laura

--
Laura Nimmon
Ph.D Student