[HealthLiteracy 2454] Re: Health Literacy evaluation tool

Jenkins, Carolyn

jenkinsc at musc.edu
Sun Nov 16 11:02:20 EST 2008

We are currently using the NVS as the instrument for evaluating literacy (as well as pretest for label reading) for our REACH US SEA-CEED diabetes self-management training participants. We have done some comparison with other literacy instruments and found psychometrics that were similar to other standardized instruments. (This study is currently being developed into a manuscript.)

Our population group is African Americans. It is a great fit for people with diabetes because each person must ideally read and interpret food labels to better manage their diabetes. Thus, many do not realize that it is a literacy assessment.