[HealthLiteracy 2445] Re: New Health Literacy Website

Brach, Cindy (AHRQ)

Cindy.Brach at ahrq.hhs.gov
Mon Nov 10 21:45:32 EST 2008

Forgive me the late response.

My understanding of the research is that for print materials, serif fonts are more readable. I too have seen mixed reactions to online materials, some sources suggesting sans serif and other serif. For AHRQ's guide for HIT for populations with limited literacy (http://healthit.ahrq.gov/images/literacy_guide102507/literacy_guide.html?fbr=1193341303546) we settled on recommending familar fonts (e.g.,Times Roman (serif) or Arial (sans serif)).

Cindy Brach
Center Delivery, Organization, and Markets
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
540 Gaither Road
Rockville, MD 20850
301-427-1444
fax: 301-427-1430