[HealthLiteracy 2443] Discussion Next week: Nov. 17th on Photonovellas

Julie McKinney

julie_mcKinney at worlded.org
Mon Nov 10 14:47:06 EST 2008

Hi Everyone,

I want to remind you all about next week's guest discussion here on the
list about Photonovellas in health and literacy education. We will have
Susan Auger and John Comings as guests to talk about the concept behind
photonovellas and why they are so well-suited to health education for
adult learners, and multicultural patients. We will also hear from adult
educators and health outreach workers to see how this tool can be used
effectively in both health and literacy setings.

Please see the full announcement at:
http://www.nifl.gov/lincs/discussions/healthliteracy/08Photonovella.html

If you have colleagues who may be interested in joining the list for
this discussion, please forward this to them and invite them to join!

Here is an updated list of resources to look at in order to prepare for
the discussion

*********************************
Online Video about using photonovellas in health care settings:
http://www.playstream.com/theater.aspx?path=/twsstudy/TWSphotonovel&file=TWS2d768K_Stream.mov&w=320&h=240

Website with description and examples of photonovels
http://www.photonovel.ca/index.htm

Example of an Online Photonovella created by adult literacy students:
What a Friend Can Do For You
http://healthliteracy.worlded.org/heal/friends/index.html

Article: Learner Developed Materials: An Empowering Product
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/healthliteracy/photonovel/hlit_article.html

I'm looking forward to this!

All the best,
Julie