[HealthLiteracy 2426] Re: Wednesday Question: How do youdescribe"Health Literacy" to friends?

Shanpin Fanchiang

sfanchiang at dhs.lacounty.gov
Thu Nov 6 16:55:25 EST 2008

What a great question! To explain "health literacy" in a literacy-friendly manner can help the listeners quickly establish a connection with "health literacy". I often have to define it to medical students and I usually start asking if they have ever heard about "health literacy" before I say something like this:

Health literacy is the capacity that enables you to do all these things. When you read some info related to health, you will need to know how to use it. When you go to hospitals for your checks or medical visits, you will need to know what to do preparing for the visit. When you talk to your doctor, nurse, or therapist about your health issues, you will need to know what they are saying and what to ask in order to do the best for your health.

Thank you.
Shanpin
Shanpin Fanchiang, Ph.D. OTR/L
Education Coordinator,
Chair, Medical Consumer Health Information Program
Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation
7601 E. Imperial HWY, HB 229
Downey, CA 90242

Adjunct Faculty
University of Southern California
Dept of Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy

>>> "Champ-Blackwell, Siobhan" <SiobhanChamp-Blackwell at creighton.edu> 11/06/08 4:13 AM >>>

I give a personal example of a time when I wasn't following written
instructions correctly, even after being given oral instructions as well
- and talk about health literacy as understanding and acting on
instructions about health being totally separate from understanding and
acting on other kinds of information. But this does take time. So,
that's only with friends and colleagues who really want to know :-)
Siobhan