[HealthLiteracy 2419] Re: Wednesday Question: How do you describe"Health Literacy" to friends?

Janet Hunt

jhunt at hsc.wvu.edu
Thu Nov 6 12:39:45 EST 2008

One of the things missing in many of these definitions, and the thing that really sets health literacy apart from other literacy issues, is the integration of math concepts.

Janet B. Hunt, MPH
Assistant Professor and
Practicum Director
Department of Community Medicine
West Virginia University
P. O. Box 9190
Office: Room #3306C
Morgantown, WV 26506-9190
Phone: 304-293-1823
Fax: 304-293-6685

>>> "Laurie Cozzolino" <cozzolino at pacbell.net> 11/5/08 10:00 PM >>>

This is a good question and not an easy one to answer. I work in adult
education and ESL, so my colleagues understand more or less what I mean when
I say 'health literacy.'. When I talk to other people, I realize that I
don't say 'health literacy.' I say 'nutrition education' or 'health
education.' What do other people say?

Laurie Cozzolino
San Diego Community College District