[HealthLiteracy 2420] Re: Wednesday Question: How do youdescribe"Health Literacy" to friends?

Marshall, Caroline

Caroline.Marshall at danhosp.org
Thu Nov 6 10:28:00 EST 2008

I usually say something like the ability to understand and act on
information provided by your doctor, but often I have to give examples
such as What does 4 times a day mean? I sometimes refer to my own
experience at a Doctor's office when I was diagnosed with something
that was not really explained to me and I was so blown away I did not
ask any questions. I do this to try and make people feel more
comfortable with the fact that they don't always understand what their
doctor is telling them.

Caroline Marshall
Health Sciences Librarian
Danbury Hospital