[HealthLiteracy 2380] Help with plain language medical terminology text

KLCramp1 at gundluth.org

Fri Oct 17 16:39:43 EDT 2008

Posted for Eileen Severson, respond to her offlist at email below.

Hello,
I'm attempting to replace the book "Terminology for the Health
Professions" by Eugene M. Wroble, copyright 1982. We use this book for
medical definitions and pronunciation guides when writing our patient
education handouts. Our patient education writer uses health literacy
principles and would like a medical terminology book that uses plain
language or a book that suggests plain language substitutes for medical
terms. She would also settle for a terminology text that has simplified
definitions of medical terms.

What she likes about the above text is that it does have (for the most
part) simple definitions, pictures, and pronunciation guides. But the
text is woefully outdated.

I've looked in Matthews Medical Books, Doody's, and LocatorPlus looking
for a text and I'm not knowledgeable enough to determine what book might
be a suitable replacement.

Would any of you please share any suggestions for a replacement? Please
reply to me off list.
Thank you,
Eileen

Eileen Severson, MLIS
Supervisor, Library and Health Information Services
Health Sciences Library
Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center
1900 South Ave. H01-011
La Crosse, WI 54601
Phone: (608) 775-5546
Fax: (608)775-6343
easevers at gundluth.org

Kaye L Crampton, MALS
Consumer Health Librarian
Gundersen Lutheran Health Resource Libraries
Mail Stop H01-011
La Crosse, WI
klcramp1 at gundluth.org
(608) 775-1665