[HealthLiteracy 2367] Re: Wednesday Question: Health Literacy Curricula for The Health Care Field

djrosen1

djrosen1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 06:48:49 EDT 2008

Hello Julie,

Here are two questions for you, for those attending the learning
institute in Calgary, and for the discussion list.

1. My understanding has been that health literacy refers to helping
patients get heath information in ways that they can understand it,
for example, in materials written in plain language. It also includes
health practitioners communicating in ways that patients can
understand, for example by using plain English, drawings,
illustrations, and good metaphors. The goal from the health
practitioner or health educator side is communicating health
information so that patients can understand, in many cases so that
they can change their behaviors and live healthier lives.

The question

> - Should special attention be paid to health care workers with low

> literacy?

appears to broaden the definition to include contextualized basic
skills (reading, writing, numeracy, computer skills) for health care
workers, perhaps to enable them to fill health care positions in
great demand.

My question: is healthcare-contextualized workplace basic skills part
of the definition of health literacy? Or is this different, not
health literacy but contextualized workplace basic skills, and also
important?

2. I am interested in health care contextualized basic skills
curriculum (English language for immigrants, high school completion,
college preparation), especially if it is primarily delivered online.
My question is, what organizations are creating such online basic
skills health care curriculum, for whom, and where?

David J. Rosen
djrosen1 at gmail.com