[HealthLiteracy 2359] Call for Breakout Session Presentations

Michael Villaire

mvillaire at iha4health.org
Wed Oct 8 15:47:37 EDT 2008

I'd like to let all my colleagues and friends on this listserv know
about a Call for Presentations we've issued recently for our Eighth
Annual Health Literacy Conference, scheduled for May 7-8, 2009, in
Irvine, California. Here's a direct link:
http://www.iha4health.org/index.cfm/MenuItemID/327.htm

The Institute for Healthcare Advancement is a nonprofit healthcare
organization whose mission is Empowering People to Better Health. One of
our primary focus areas is health literacy. In addition to our "What To
Do For Health" books, written at a 3rd to 5th grade reading level for
consumers, we produce an annual, continuing education conference for
providers, educators, researchers, academia, writers, administrators,
and others.

Our conference theme for 2009 is "Health Literacy: Bridging Research and
Practice." Breakout sessions are hands-on, interactive, run 90 minutes
and are presented twice in one day-once in the morning and again in the
afternoon-and focus on skill building and providing tools and
information that attendees can learn and use immediately upon returning
home.

We cover air, hotel, conference registration, and provide an honorarium.

Here are some of the topic areas on which we are particularly interested
in seeing submissions:

* Cultural competency related to health literacy
* Communicating effectively with LEP (limited English proficiency)
clients
* Communicating healthcare information in other languages
* Testing and evaluating education materials
* Visual design and comprehension
* Education program design
* Making a business case for implementing health literacy
solutions
* Specific models in health literacy that can be replicated
* Other health literacy-related topics focused on providing skills
or tools

We are quite willing to review submissions on other relevant topics as
well. For those who are not familiar with our conference, if you visit
the link above, see the links to the left navbar, which include recaps
from the 2008 conference.

Please feel free to email or call me with any questions.

Thanks all.

Michael

-- Michael Villaire, MSLM

Director, Programs & Operations