[HealthLiteracy 2335] Re: Photo Novellas related to health

Janet Sorensen

Jsorensen at afmc.org
Thu Sep 25 23:14:15 EDT 2008

We recently received word that we've received a grant to increase health literacy among Head Start parents, with a primary goal of reducing nonurgent ER visits. We proposed to target one county that has a rather high nonurgent ER utilization rate. Many of the parents are Hispanic and a few are Marshall Islanders. One of the tools we proposed is a photonovella, primarily for the Hispanic parents. We'll be offering it in print, as well as on DVD as a slide show with an audio track, to reach any parents who may have literacy issues in their own language. I have never worked on a fotonovella before, and I'm thrilled to be working on this project.
I cannot access my notes from here at home or remember the location or details, but I recall a photonovella was used to encourage folic acid supplements for pregnant women in one project. I believe we cited it in the proposal.
I'm obviously interested in this string and any other advice, and will eventually post links to our fotonovella and other materials, as well as the results of the project.
Janet Sorensen, tech and educational writer
Arkansas Foundation for Medical Care