[HealthLiteracy 2287] Re: Educational materials for parents and teenson mental health issues

Julie McKinney

julie_mcKinney at worlded.org
Wed Sep 10 10:03:01 EDT 2008

Hi Shirley,

This website Talking With Kids, includes information on discussing
everything BUT mental health, but click on the Resources button for a
listing of other places that might lead to you to some good information.

http://www.talkingwithkids.org

As you have probably noticed, "mental health literacy" is a very
resource-poor topic! I'd love to hear what folks recommend!

Good luck,
Julie

Julie McKinney
Health Literacy List Moderator
World Education
jmckinney at worlded.org

>>> "Shirley Berger" <sberger1 at health.nyc.gov> 09/10/08 9:33 AM >>>

Hi,

I'm interested in finding good educational materials on child mental
health topics that are written for parents/caregivers and also for the
children/teens themselves. In my work in child mental health services
in NYC, I am sometimes asked to recommend materials that providers can
give to families they work with (the latest example is a request for
materials that primary care physicians can distribute to families about
adolescent depression).

I have found helpful information on the following websites:
www.kidshealth.org <http://www.kidshealth.org/> ; www.familydoctor.org
<http://www.familydoctor.org/> ; http://www.family.samhsa.gov
<http://www.family.samhsa.gov/> ; www.reachout.com.au
<http://www.reachout.com.au/> ; http://www.nmha.org
<http://www.nmha.org/> ; www.nami.org <http://www.nami.org/> . Some
are easier to navigate and offer more accessible information than
others. My office has also been involved in piloting a strategy to
engage NYC teens on mental health issues using social networking sites
(including MySpace http://www.myspace.com/nycteen_mindspace ), and we
included fact sheets in that online campaign.

I'm interested in knowing whether anyone on this list has other
suggestions of written materials or websites in the area of child mental
health... or has any ideas about "mental health literacy" in general.

Thanks!

Shirley Berger, MA, MPH, CHES

Research and Policy Coordinator

Bureau of Child and Adolescent Services

NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene

93 Worth Street, Room 1210

New York, NY 10013

Tel: 212-219-5390

Fax: 212-219-5392

E-mail: sberger1 at health.nyc.gov

The New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene is now offering
information important for the health of all New Yorkers. To sign up for
these new and valuable updates, log-on to our website at
http://www.nyc.gov/health/email and select the NYC DOHMH updates you'd
like to receive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This email is meant only for the use of the intended
recipient. It may contain confidential information that is legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify me immediately by replying to this
message and please delete it from your computer. Thank you for your
cooperation.