[HealthLiteracy 2256] Re: prostate cancer materials

Kripalani, Sunil

sunil.kripalani at Vanderbilt.Edu
Fri Aug 22 09:31:46 EDT 2008

I worked with colleagues at Baylor College of Medicine to develop
prostate cancer screening handouts, designed specifically for audiences
with low health literacy. They were developed with patient input, pilot
tested, and proven in a randomized controlled trial to increase
discussions about prostate cancer screening between patients and their
physicians. The study citation is:

Kripalani S, Sharma J, Justice E, Justice J, Spiker C, Laufman LE,
Jacobson TA, Price M, Weinberg AD. Low-literacy interventions to promote
discussion of prostate cancer screening: a randomized controlled trial.
Am J Prev Med 2007;33(2):83-90.

The handouts are included in the article. The intent in developing these
was the make them available for use to others. The project coordinator
(Cindy Spiker), Baylor, and I retained the copyright rather than turning
it over to the journal at the time of publication. You all certainly
have my permission to reproduce the handouts. Cindy can speak to
copyright issues pertaining to herself and Baylor, and can be reached at
cspiker at bcm.tmc.edu. We can email clean copies of the handouts as well.

All the best,
Sunil Kripalani