[HealthLiteracy 2170] ESL resources

Marg Rose

bcmrose at telus.net
Wed Jul 23 03:32:10 EDT 2008

Have you seen the multilingual website: www.healthyroadsmedia.org with
thematic health units in 7 different languages that a patient/learner can
listen to, watch with the visuals, and read? I've seen the moving "aha"
moments when an person with English as another language hears a condition
expressed in his/her first language. Imagine how you would feel if you were
in a foreign country and cobbled together from translation and visuals that
you had a health crisis, then a medical or educator cued up a module for you
on a computer, and you heard the full details? Very powerful technique.

Marg Rose, M.Ad.Ed.
Health Literacy
Collaborative Consulting Inc.
Victoria, BC

"Life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it."
~Irving
Berlin

-

Has anybody ever taught a health literacy class aimed at health care
professionals who speak english as a 2nd/other language? I would love to
hear more about perceptions of health literacy from this demographic.