[HealthLiteracy 2167] Re: Health Literacy Curriculum

Davies, Nicola

NDavies at dthr.ab.ca
Mon Jul 21 14:58:56 EDT 2008

I can only speak from personal experience here, and I have spoken with many patients on the matter, but some of the doctors who speak English as a second (or indeed 'other') language, is that they have only ever used medical jargon in relation to anatomy and so on. For example, the mother who was confused because the doctor said he could see the "ka-putt" instead of the "baby's head/swelling". Or the ESL physio I see who tells me to stretch my lumbar. I am willing to bet that not too many people can identify which area of their back is their lumbar area. I was even told to stretch my piriformis! After doing a fair bit of internet searching I was able to locate this and do some proper stretches. We are on fairly good terms and I have managed to let him know by doing my own modified version of the teachback model by saying things like "Oh, the very lower back" or "from the hips down?". We have made some headway - he says chest now, instead of thoracic.

Has anybody ever taught a health literacy class aimed at health care professionals who speak english as a 2nd/other language? I would love to hear more about perceptions of health literacy from this demographic.