[HealthLiteracy 2150] Re: Pediatric Literacy Issues

Lisa Bernstein

lisab at whattoexpect.org
Wed Jul 16 13:34:11 EDT 2008

Wendy,
The What To Expect Foundation is working right now on expanding our Baby
Basics Prenatal Health Literacy Program into the Baby's First Year of Life.
The program will include a lower literacy book, called "Families First Year
Basics" and training for pediatricians, nurses, clerical staff, as well as a
parenting/health literacy program for home visitors and early head start
educators. The training will provide strategies and tools for engaging
parents in their child's healthcare and empowering them to advocate for
their child's health.

>From our research for the program, we see that pediatricians, while

passionate about their young patients, have rarely been taught strategies
for partnering with parents (frequently falling back on their own parenting
experience or our book What To Expect The First Year for advice) - so when
those parents are underserved, low literacy, or do not speak English
pediatricians are on their own to develop communication skills.

Right now our materials and training will focus on pediatric health literacy
in general - eventually we hope to expand into chronic disease management.

If anyone is interested in serving on our advisory board or learning more as
this project continues please feel free to email me off line...

--
Read what USA TODAY says about The What To Expect Foundation by going to
this link:

Lisa Bernstein
Executive Director
The What To Expect Foundation
144 W. 80th Street
New York, NY 10024
212-712-9764
www.whattoexpect.org

Providing prenatal health and literacy support so that women in need know
what to expect when expecting.