[HealthLiteracy 2107] Librarians/libraries involved in health literacy in Honolulu, HI

Esparza, Julia M.

jespar at lsuhsc.edu
Tue Jul 1 10:13:34 EDT 2008

Hi,

Please respond directly to me at jespar @ lsuhsc.edu (remove spaces).

I am interested in talking with librarians or libraries involved in
health literacy in Honolulu. I'm looking for a list of speakers to
present to a group planning a program session at the Medical Librarian
Association Annual Meeting in May 15-20 2009 (I won't have a specific
day for several months). I don't have any confirmation that the program
will go but I want to start compiling a list of names just in case.
This speaker will be the anchor speaker with contributed papers (that is
our goal at least).

This is the tentative abstract for the program. We are looking for at
least one invited speaker to set the stage. We would prefer a
librarian or library that is involved health literacy issues since that
will be the target audience but we are actually very open depending on
the research or program initiatives that might be presented.

To see the theme for the annual meeting go to
http://mlanet.org/am/am2009/pdf/mla09_call.pdf

Fusing Culture and Community to Improve Health Literacy

challenged with the goal of improving health communication by providing
information in the appropriate cultural or community context, as well
as in the context of special diseases i.e. people with cancer, mental
illness, HIV/AIDS, etc. As a result, health communication is being
developed for specific cultural, community, and illness groups. This
session will focus on the role libraries and information professionals
play in contributing to this developing area of literacy.
Research/topics may range from but are not limited to educational
support for patients with cancer and support for survivors and
survivorship issues, support for nurses and allied health professionals
providing patient education on the front line, demystifying acronyms
used to talk about people with mental disorders (BD, PTSD, OCD, ADHD,
etc.) and defusing the stereotypes that come with them, how health
professionals can communicate with the LGBT community, and serving the
healthcare needs of those with limited English literacy.

As I said above the program is not approved so everything is very
tentative.

Thanks,

Julie

Julie Esparza

Clinical Medical Librarian

LSU Health Sciences Center - Shreveport, LA

LSUHSC-S Medical Library Evidence Alert

http://lsuhsc-sevidencealert.blogspot.com
<http://lsuhsc-sevidencealert.blogspot.com/>

Health Literacy Alerts