[HealthLiteracy 2038] Re: AMA Medical News Article on Health Literacy

Elyse Barbell

elyse at lacnyc.org
Tue May 27 13:54:45 EDT 2008

Great article and interesting issue; thanks for calling our attention to
it David. The tool they are using to measure literacy levels here is
called the Newest Vital Signs and it was developed by Pfizer. It is
indeed a popular tool and has proven to be very effective for certain
purposes. For the adult literacy community it poses particular
challenges - the base level of the exam supposes a level of prior
knowledge that many of our adult literacy students do not possess -
rendering the tool ineffective. Many will not be able to answer the
first and easiest question. It is also focused on numeracy and really
does not give you any insight into a patient's ability to comprehend or
follow a health provider's recommendations. I am not sure it will really
matter to a health practitioner if a patient reads at the 5th or 9th
grade level. Would it really change the way they offer instructions? At
the Literacy Assistance Center's health initiative we work with health
providers at all levels to understand that all patients are "health
illiterate" upon hearing a new diagnosis. Health literacy is not simply
an issue of poverty, race or education levels. Patient safety would be
greatly improved for ALL health consumers if information was presented
in a clear and straightforward manor - after which patients can learn
more at their own pace, using their optimum learning style and in a way
that they can then use the information to make good health decisions.

Elyse Barbell

Executive Director

Literacy Assistance Center

http://www.lacnyc.org/profdev/healthlit/