[HealthLiteracy 2036] Re: AMA Medical News Article on Health Literacy

MSkewes at ria.buffalo.edu

Tue May 27 13:05:51 EDT 2008

Hello All,

This is interesting. In my view, health literacy is not static, but is a
dynamic construct. We may all have base levels of health literacy, but if
you view health literacy as the capacity to obtain, process, and utilize
health-related information in order to make appropriate health-related
decisions, I believe we all may experience low health literacy at times.
For example, when I am stressed or scared or nervous, my health literacy
is greatly diminished because my capacity to understand becomes impaired.
Therefore, I would strongly recommend that physicians and other health
professionals assume everyone has low health literacy and treat all
patients the same regarding plain language, the teach-back method, and any
other techniques shown to improve understanding among patients. Just
waiting unclothed in a little room for the doctor to show up can be
nerve-wracking enough to require more in-depth explanation, and plain
language should be the norm, in my opinion.

Best,
Monica

Monica C. Skewes, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Associate
Research Institute on Addictions
University at Buffalo
The State University of New York
1021 Main Street
Buffalo, New York 14203
716-887-2242 (phone)
716-887-2510 (fax)

"David J. Rosen" <djrosen at comcast.net>
Sent by: healthliteracy-bounces at nifl.gov
05/24/2008 08:42 AM
Please respond to
The Health and Literacy Discussion List <healthliteracy at nifl.gov>

The Health and Literacy Discussion List <healthliteracy at nifl.gov>
cc

Subject
[HealthLiteracy 2034] AMA Medical News Article on Health Literacy

Health Literacy Colleagues

I would like to call your attention an article, dated June 2, 2008
(interesting dateline) in the American Medical news of the
AMA . It poses this question:

Should physicians adjust the communication level for each patient, or are
comprehension difficulties so common that simpler language should be used
with everyone?

Doctors are being urged by some researchers to administer a short (on
average, just under 3 minutes) literacy test to their patients to
increase the doctors' health literacy awareness. Others argue that while
appropriate for research, this does not make sense for clinical practice.
They argue for plain language for all patients.

How many patients are proficient in managing their own medical care? One
recent study found that

only 12% of adults have the skills to proficiently manage their own
medical care.

The article mentions that the AMA Foundation will release a report in July
on assessing the country's health literacy.

You'll find the article at:

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2008/06/02/hlsd0602.htm

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net