[HealthLiteracy 2010] Re: Wednesday Question: Writing how we talk: better or worse?

Joan Medlen

joan at ipns.com
Tue May 20 11:14:30 EDT 2008

At 09:29 AM 5/19/2008, you wrote:

>Too often we lose the meaning for the structure.

For me, this was the key message.

Whether I write how people talk or more formally really depends on the
target audience for the piece. Years ago I went through a training and
coaching process to be a better communication partner to people with
intellectual and developmental disabilities. What it taught me is to take
stock of the messages being sent by both communicators. The other framework
I work within is "percon-centered thinking." This is in-line with current
trends in "coaching." Basically, you put the person, your client or target
audience, first when considering what works and what does not work.

All these things then shape how a tool is designed, what it looks like, and
what language is used. Yes, it does end up being more conversational. But
it is not necessarily important to be grammatically incorrect, either.

In Julie's example, she asked
"Which is clearer:

Your dominant hand is the one you write with.
or
Your dominant hand is the one with which you write."

And I would have skirted the entire issue by writing,
"You write with your dominant hand."

Take care,
Joan

-------
Joan E Guthrie Medlen, R.D., L.D.
Global Clinical Advisor, Health Literacy & Communications
Special Olympics Healthy Athletes
joan at ipns.com
3638 SW Vesta
Portland, OR 97219