[HealthLiteracy 1971] assertiveness a vital step

Marg Rose

bcmrose at telus.net
Thu May 1 03:01:58 EDT 2008

It is thrilling to read about the uptake and critique of the Patient Prompt
card that we developed in Manitoba. Yes, yes, it needed refinement. We
worked with a nurse practitioner to develop the original compact patient
prompt card prop. When we focus tested it, we found that the whole question
of whether patients, especially immigrant and adults facing a power dynamic
in a medical setting, would ever feel comfortable posing even those four
basic questions. And yes, the side effects are an important addition to the
basic question list.

So, we adapted another resource I'd seen from Yukon Learn on "Going to the
Doctor", with a facilitator's guide, to broach the whole area of asking
questions and researching answers within a sheltered classroom environment,
or in a family. Take a look at the prototype at this
URL:http://www.plainlanguage.mb.literacy.ca/resource.htm if you search for
those two titles. Does it help to address some of the concerns you are
raising?

Marg Rose, M.Ad.Ed.
Collaborative Consulting
Victoria, BC
250-592-7321

While I agree with the need for patients to get more assertive we area still
missing the boat if we wait for this to happen.

>The thing that seems to be missing from Ask Me

3 and the Manitoba Patient's Prompt Card is a question that asks about
possible side effects. True? If so, is there a reason for that? (Space
limitations!)