[HealthLiteracy 1887] Re: help

Kerry Harwood

harwo001 at mc.duke.edu
Thu Mar 27 16:22:54 EDT 2008

One thing you might consider is encouraging them to use the resources of
their own professional organization. The American Medical Association
Foundation has produced and distributes an excellent resource on health
literacy. I find professionals often give more credibility to the
standards / recommendations coming from their own profession, even if they
are the same standards recommended by others.

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/9913.html

Kerry

Kerry Harwood, RN, MSN
Assistant Director, Dept. of Advanced Clinical Practice
Duke University Medical Center Box 3458
Durham, NC 27710
919-681-5288
kerry.harwood at duke.edu

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original
dimensions. A ship in the harbor is safe...but that's not what ships were
made for. Wisdom is knowing what path to take next...integrity is taking
it.

Wendy Mettger <wmettger at mindspring.com>
Sent by: healthliteracy-bounces at nifl.gov
03/26/2008 06:02 PM
Please respond to
The Health and Literacy Discussion List <healthliteracy at nifl.gov>

The Health and Literacy Discussion List <healthliteracy at nifl.gov>
cc

Subject
[HealthLiteracy 1876] Re: help

Janet,

Some of your experience with the high-risk OB speaks to problems in our
medical system with the medicalization and labeling of normal events as
pathologies or things that require intense medical intervention. Women 35
and older are labeled as high risk because of their "advanced maternal
age." Statistically, it is true that women are at greater risk for having
a Down syndrome child after age 35. However, that doesn't mean that every
pregnancy of a woman 35 and older should be treated as a high risk event.
The labeling often brings a host of unwanted, unnecessary, and intrusive
medical procedures. I think amniocentesis is a very helpful tool as is
CVS. However, women need to make informed choices about what diagnostic
tests they are comfortable with.

I've talked with several of my practitioners about the print material they
use in their offices. I do it in a gentle way and say that they will reach
a broader audience if their material is more clear and easy-to-read.
Mostly, I've gotten a positive response to these suggestions - in part
because they know that I have some credibility in the communication arena.

You might contact the people who wrote the form letter and briefly explain
your reaction. As a patient, you could let them know that the most
important information for you was whether or not your baby had Down
syndrome and that's the first thing you want to read about. Something as
simple as organizing the information based on what's most important to the
patient can make a big difference.

Wendy Mettger

Wendy Mettger, M.A.
President, Mettger Communications
129 Grant Avenue
Takoma Park, MD 20912
Phone: (301)270-2774 Fax: (301)270-5267
E-mail: wmettger at mindspring.com

Principal and Founding Member, The Clear Language Group
www.clearlanguagegroup.com

Janet Sorensen wrote:
Since I'm not quite as formally educated or experienced on this subject as
the rest of you, I have a question from a personal as well as professional
perspective.

As I'm sure many of you have experienced, I'm often handed printed
materials in the course of my own health care (or a loved one's), or asked
to fill out forms that I am tempted to rewrite, redesign and hand back to
the health care provider or staff member. As a writer, I've seriously
considered doing this (but waiting until my or my relative's health care
crisis or issue has been resolved). Is there a graceful, persuasive and
nonoffensive way to make suggestions to health care providers regarding,
say, written materials, preop and postop materials and processes, and so
forth? Anything that has worked or specifically NOT worked for you in
winning support from health care providers or others who are in a position
to make seemingly simple changes? I don't want to come across as a
know-it-all because, for one thing, I don't know it all, and also because
such an approach or attitude would not serve our purpose.

An example -- during my pregnancy, I was referred for a diagnostic
ultrasound because of my "advanced maternal age" and because I had decided
against amniocentesis. After the ultrasound, the high-risk OB again tried
to talk me into amnio and again I politely refused. He said the ultrasound
looked ok but would be read in more detail later. A few days later, I got
a form letter. The first four paragraphs talked about Down syndrome, what
it is, risk factors, "markers," and so forth, and how women with "advanced
maternal age" are at greater risk. In the fifth paragraph, it explained
that my ultrasound was (fill in the blank) negative for all of the Down
syndrome markers. But by then I had already assumed my unborn child had
Down syndrome and was freaking completely out. I ran the Gunning-Fog on it
out of curiosity, and it was higher than 12th grade, besides just being
badly written and badly organized.

When I mentioned this experience to my own personal OB (not the high-risk
guy) and said that I thought the letter could have been written more
effectively for the audience, he said it's too bad these uneducated people
can't read nowadays. I agreed and said it's also too bad some educated
people can't write nowadays. It occurs to me now, that probably wasn't the
best response for building collaboration and support...I'm blaming
hormones.

I'm asking now because I just went through a grueling pre-op process at an
academic medical center with my 76-year-old mom, and we had to fill out
the exact same detailed form at five different clinics, although they have
electronic records there. I had to help an old man in one of the various
waiting rooms, who could not bend his arm and had no one to help him
write. And that's just the beginning. But I will stop now.

Any words of advice on how I could effectively offer my own, for the sake
of my blood pressure if nothing else? I realize health literacy and health
communication are huge and evolving fields of study, and we need scholarly
papers and more research, but we also need front-line fighters. Or maybe
guerilla is a better term. Polite and respectful, of course. Any response
will be appreciated. thx jps

Janet Sorensen
Web Writer
Arkansas Foundation for Medical Care
501-212-8644

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information in this E-mail is
confidential and may be privileged. This E-mail is intended solely
for the named recipient or recipients. If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this
E-mail is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
inform us by replying with the subject line marked
"Wrong Address" and then deleting this E-mail and any
attachments. Arkansas Foundation for Medical Care, Inc.
(AFMC) uses regularly updated anti-virus software in an attempt
to reduce the possibility of transmitting computer viruses. We do
not guarantee, however, that any attachments to this E-mail are
virus-free.
http://www.nifl.gov/mailman/listinfo/healthliteracy
Email delivered to wmettger at mindspring.com