[HealthLiteracy 1869] Re: help

Davies, Nicola

NDavies at dthr.ab.ca
Wed Mar 26 13:29:24 EDT 2008

First of all Janet, please let me sympathise with your experience. Unfortunately, you are not alone.

Regarding your question about strategies to get clinical people to rewrite letters and forms, I have the following concepts and experiences of my own to offer.

Firstly, think about the administration of health education materials. The different names applied to these materials is enough to drive anyone crazy, and it highlights the complicated ins and outs of health info administration that is "disturbed" when someone offers to 'change' it. Some health regions, trusts and authorities only have communications experts look at health information. Forms are written by legal eagles to check for legality first, and communication second (if at all). Before offering to change materials, think about the systems in place...sometimes offering to help a nurse rewrite a health info document. Some of the attitudes I have encountered are: "it's not my job"; "it's fine as it is"; "but I can understand it"; "the patient will understand it once they have read through it a few more times". My advice, start at the top! Go to the director, owner of the clinic, managers, etc.

Also, some people take their writing very personally. For some of my clients, I really have to tip-toe around their feelings when I take my "red pen" to their writing. Imagine this scenario - you arrive to meet your friend at a gathering, and she has just introduced herself to the entire room. She has talked to hundreds of people and is quite proud of herself for putting her inhibitions aside, and then you notice that she has a huge chunk of spinach in her teeth. How do you tell her? It's the same for some 'unpracticed' writers. Remember that for most people "writing" starts and ends at a quick text message, writing a shopping list or a sticky reminding someone to pick up the dry cleaning. Some people who write health information do so with the best of intentions, but somewhere along the line they trip up, through no fault of their own. The same feeling your friend would have at having spinach in her teeth is the same feeling I often see reflected in the faces of my clients when they see how much their materials have to be modified in order to meet the standards set out by my department.

For some departments, checking for readability is a "nice to have" rather than a "need to have". I have encountered that a few times in my career. Hurt feelings aside, my response is "you spend hours writing it, hundreds of dollars printing and distributing it, thousands of copies have gone out, and only ten percent of the people who pick it up and read it will actually understand it. How can a system that allows you to reach more than ten percent of your audience be a 'nice to have'?" This always makes the policy makers (and people who control budget purse-strings) sit up and listen to what you are saying.

I hope this helps you.
Nicola
ndavies at dthr.ab.ca